Collagen Induction Microneedling 101: The Basic Science Behind Collagen Induction Therapy Collagen induction therapy...
We all know that the battle to be bare can not only be expensive – it can also be a painful hassle that causes nasty, painful and embarrassing ingrown hairs.
Safe & effective hair removal can be confusing. What’s available? What works? What’s safe? Who is properly certified and capable of providing safe, sterile hair removal services? Where can I find safe hair removal services that give me the results I want and within my budget?
At Viso Medi Spa and Boutique, we want all of our clients to be knowledgeable about what hair removal services are out there and what options are available. We believe in educating our clients so they can more comfortably make informed decisions.
In this article, I will walk you through some of the options available for hair removal, the pros and cons of each option, and price comparisons of some of these hair removal options.
A method of hair removal we are all familiar with is shaving. Shaving removes the hair at the surface of the skin by using a razor blade to cut it off. This method of hair removal is best for areas such as under arms, legs, and for those who have lighter and finer hair.Shaving is not recommended for facial hair on women, or anybody’s chest, stomach, back, and arms.
• Shaving Pros: Painless, quick, easy, and using shaving creams while shaving can help to moisturize your skin and keep it soft.
• Shaving Cons: Razor burn, nicks and cuts, regular shavers are prone to ingrown hairs, regrowth happens quickly (sometimes even in the same day), the hair is cut off at the surface of the skin causing the regrowth to be blunt and look and feel much thicker than it is.
There are many hair removal creams on the market that use chemicals to weaken the hair shaft so you can wipe the hair away with a cloth. It basically melts your hair.This method of hair removal is best for those who are looking for quick, easy, relatively painless at-home results. It is a popular method of hair removal for areas such as facial hair, bikini area, and underarms.
• Depilatory Cream Pros: Regrowth is slightly slower due to removing the hair just slightly below the surface of the skin, the regrowth is less coarse than shaving.
• Depilatory Cream Cons: These creams are full of harsh chemicals that are not safe and can irritate skin, particularly in areas that are delicate. Long term use of these hair removal creams are not only bad for you, they can cause premature aging. These creams are infamous for their foul odor and more often than not lead to ingrown hairs.
As a practicing medical esthetician for over 20 years, this would absolutely not be my preferred choice.
With this method of hair removal warm or cold wax is applied to the treatment area and the hair is removed in the opposite direction of the hair growth, pulling hairs out at the root. This method of hair removal is best for eyebrows, legs, underarms, arms, bikini area, chests, backs, and is good for all hair types.
• Waxing Pros: Waxing will remove the hair at the root for an average of around three weeks or more of smooth skin. The hair will begin to grow back finer with long term regular waxing. Waxing also removes the dead and dry skin cells leaving skin feeling soft and supple.
• Waxing Cons: Waxing requires at least a ¼ inch of regrowth. Treatments can be moderately painful, as hair is being ripped out at the root, but becomes more tolerable over time. There is possibility that coarse hair can break off at the surface as well as a possibility of bruising. Waxing can also lead to ingrown hairs. Waxing cannot be performed on anyone taking photo sensitive drugs such as Accutane. It’s very important to tell your Esthetician of any drugs you are on, as your skin can tear with certain drugs. A qualified Esthetician will know what drugs will affect your treatment.
WAXING TIP: Drinking coffee or alcohol prior to your waxing appointment can result in a far more painful experience.
Laser Hair Removal:
With Laser Hair Removal, the laser or pulsed light penetrates the skin to target the pigment in the hair shaft and inhibit hair growth. It essentially destroys the hair follicle, meaning it can achieve permanent hair removal. Typically, the hair in treated areas falls out within 2-3 weeks. A series of treatments are required.Laser hair removal methods are good for people with hair darker than their skin.
Laser Hair Removal is not suitable for people with very dark skin or very light hair. With laser hair removal, the laser targets the melanin (pigment) in the hair, so the laser needs to be able to lock on to the dark pigment and needs to differentiate the dark hair from the skin.
• Laser Hair Removal Pros: Laser Hair Removal is good for long term hair removal in all areas. Laser Hair R• emoval causes no damage to the dermis so most sensitive skin can be treated. Not only is Laser Hair Removal noninvasive and convenient, clients will notice a reduction of hair after the first treatment. They will also notice an immediate reduction of ingrown hairs. This method of Hair Removal is safe and leaves your skin feeling softer and smoother than any other method.
• Laser Hair Removal Cons: Laser hair removal can be slightly painful, feeling like a warm snap. There are many Laser Hair Removal Clinics in Alberta that have uncertified and inexperienced operators that performing careless treatments which can lead to very serious problems. Laser Hair Removal is not safe when the Laser is in the hands of an uneducated operator. Be Aware of this. If you are finding Laser Hair removal deals that sound too good to be true, it is because it really is too good to be true.
Laser Hair Removal Tips: There are creams that can numb the area being treated. This will take away the sting of the laser and make the treatment more comfortable. Viso recommends using the cream for areas that are sensitive such as the face, bikini (particularly Brazilian), and underarms. We have this available to our clients and there is no need to make unnecessary trips to the drug store.
With the Electrolysis hair removal method, your practitioner uses a fine, needle-shaped electrode to apply an electrical current to the hair follicle.Electrolysis hair removal is great for areas such as the face (eyebrows and upper lip) and underarms. It is also good for the white hairs some clients have that the laser will not target. (Remember that Laser Hair Removal will not remove very light colored hair).
• Electrolysis Pros: Can permanently remove hair and is suitable for very fine and light colored hair, unlike laser which works best on darker hair.
• Electrolysis Cons: When improperly done, electrolysis can lead to scarring or skin discoloration. Each hair follicle is treated individually which is time consuming and expensive. Treatments can be uncomfortable, and cause a “stinging” or “pricking” sensation. Permanent results require multiple sessions.
PRICE COMPARISON CHART
(Based on Viso Laser Hair Removal Packages, waxing monthly and 1 razor per week)